Sunday, October 19, 2008


Bessie's Oat Cookies

For my first food post I am actually posting something made by my aunt, Lorrie. This is a good thing, because she has an extensive library of heirloom recipes including Bessie's Oat Cookies with date filling. Apparently those who love dates are a select group that I am happy to be a part of. Warm, chewy, not too sweet dates...

1 c. white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. butter
1 1/2 c. rolled oats - Quaker Quick Oats
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg (3 if the recipe is doubled)

Mix the dry separately from the wet, and then combine the two. Bake at 350 - 375 degrees.

Date Filling

1 lb. dates
1 c. sugar (white or brown)
1 c. boiling water

Boil dates until they are soft & tender. Sometimes the rind & juice of an orange or lemon are added. When the filling is cool, spread between cookies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back blogging and I hope you haven't forgotten this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhUFxaauNTE

Niki said...

I love that C is for Cookie clip. Brilliant!